Get to Know Our Doctors: 31 Questions with Dr. Nicole VanDeLeest
As veterinary professionals, our staff has the privilege of getting to know both our human clients and their fur babies. On the flipside, most clients don’t get to learn much about our doctors and clinic staff outside of vet visits. Well, we’re changing that now! We want to give you a more in-depth look inside the personalities of our team members and what makes each of them unique. Below we’ve asked Dr. Nicole VanDeLeest 31 interview questions; learn about her dream vacation, her top movie of all time, what she does on her days off, and several other fun facts you’d most likely never learn from a trip to the animal clinic.
1. At what age did you know you wanted to become a veterinarian?
Dr. V: I was very young when I knew I wanted to help animals – including finding a dead bird when I was three years old, bringing it to my Mom and asking how I could help it. Let’s just say she was less than thrilled.
2. What do you like most about FSAC/MAAC?
Dr. V: It is genuinely fun to be at work – most of that stems from having great employees to work with all day.
3. What is your proudest moment at FSAC/MAAC?
Dr. V: The staff at Fountain Square quickly recognized a very critical patient upon arrival, alerting all team members which allowed us to stabilize the patient, and treat it appropriately. This patient wouldn’t be alive and doing well today if not for the attentiveness and quick acts of the staff.
4. What aspect of being a veterinarian do you enjoy the most?
Dr. V: Giving the proper tools and education to a client so they can keep their pet as healthy as possible
5. Do you have an office nickname?
Dr. V: Dr. V.
6. What fur babies currently live at your house? Rosie – 8 year old yellow Lab, Elby – 4 year old orange cat, Annie – 3 year old Lab, Chow, Pitbull mix.
7. How many donuts are you capable of eating in one sitting?
Dr. V: Probably 3 – just as long as they don’t have any filling!
8. What is the most recent book you read?
Dr. V: What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty.
9. What is your all time time favorite movie?
Dr. V: Dirty Dancing.
10. Who is your favorite actor of all time?
Dr. V: I’m really digging Chris Pratt right now in all of his films.
11. Favorite board game of all time?
Dr. V: Classic Monopoly.
12. Best vacation or travel spot?
Dr. V: Scotland. I really want to go back and explore more of the Highlands and Islands.
13. If given a chance, who would you like to be for a day?
Dr. V: The director at Area 51 – you gotta know right?
14. If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see cast as you?
Dr. V: Someone with a real witty personality.
15. If you could only drink one beer or cocktail for the rest of your life, what would it be? Dr. V: A lime margarita on the rocks with salt.
16. If you had to eat one meal, every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Dr. V: Breakfast for dinner.
17. If you were an animal what would you be?
Dr. V: My cat Elby – she has it made!
18. If you were on death row, what would your last meal be?
Dr. V: Some type of huge seafood based meal – crab, lobster bisque, sushi, shrimp and scallop pasta dish – all of it!
19. If you were stuck on an island what three things would you bring?
Dr. V: A good book, some sunscreen and water – I don’t need to leave the island, right?
20. What do you like to do on your days off?
Dr. V: Read, relax with either music on or a movie playing that I’ve seen a ton of times
21. What is one item on your bucket list?
Dr. V: I really would like to travel to all 50 states.
22. What is the first concert you attended?
Dr. V: 98 Degrees when I was either 12 or 13. The best concerts I attended however are Mumford & Sons. They put on a great show!
23. What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery?
Dr. V: I would have to be financially responsible unfortunately and pay off some student loans, but otherwise go on another vacation – either Iceland or a great all-inclusive island resort.
24. What is the most important thing you have learned in the last five years?
Dr. V: Not to stress over things out of your control.
25. What is the one food item that you can never resist eating?
Dr. V: White chocolate Macadamia nut cookies.
26. What is your favorite sport to watch on tv?
27. What is your favorite thing to do in the wonderful city of Indianapolis?
Dr. V: My husband and I really like to try new or different restaurants, we stay away from chain restaurants as much as possible and love to support the small business eateries.
28. What phobias do you have?
Dr. V: Birds. Keep them away!
29. Where is your favorite place to eat in Indy?
Dr. V: I really like Union 50 – great drinks and food, fun atmosphere, and it helps that it’s right across the street from Mass Ave Animal Clinic.
30. Where would you like to go on a dream vacation?
Dr. V: Iceland looks and sounds amazing – that’s where I would like to go next!
31. When are you the happiest?
Dr. V: Catching up with friends or family I haven’t seen in a while. Pretty much being able to pick up right where we left off!
Dr. VanDeLeest is a veterinarian at our Fountain Square Animal Clinic and Mass Ave Animal Clinic locations. She attended undergrad at Purdue University (BS in Animal Sciences, 2009) and veterinary school at Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine in (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, 2013).