Homemade Healthy Pet Treats for Valentine’s Day
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner you might be thinking about what to give to that special, furry someone in your life. Your pet is always there for you no matter what and doesn’t judge you when you spend the weekend binge watching the newest TV series. What better way to show your pet some extra attention on Valentine’s Day than with some homemade treats baked with love! Below are a couple of simple and healthy treat recipes (one for dogs and one for cats) your pets will adore. If your pet has an already diagnosed medical condition, please check with your veterinarian first to make sure it is safe for your pet to have these treats.
PUMPKIN APPLE DOG TREATS
- 4-4.5 cups oatmeal, plus additional
- 1 medium apple
- 1 egg
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Grind the oatmeal down in a food processor or blender. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Core the apple, being sure to remove all the seeds and throw the core and seeds away! Take the remaining portion of the apple and grate. Add the grated apple to the bowl with the oatmeal
- Add egg and canned pumpkin to the bowl and mix well to combine. The mixture should be thick and slightly sticky.
- On a surface dusted with oatmeal (ground or not) roll the dough out to ½ inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter (dog bone, heart, etc.) to cut dough into shapes and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and crispy. Allow to cool to room temperature and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
SIMPLE SALMON CAT TREATS
- 10 oz canned salmon (undrained)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Pulse 10 oz undrained canned salmon in a food processor or blender until chopped as finely as possible
- Combine salmon, 1 beaten egg and flour in mixing bowl. Using a blender, mix ingredients together until dough forms. Dough should be tacky but not sticky.
- If dough is too dry, add up to 1/3 cup water
- If dough is too wet or sticky, add a bit more flour
- Roll out dough on a floured surface until ¼ inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter (small fish, small heart, etc.) to cut dough into shapes and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until slightly browned and crunchy. Allow to cool to room temperature and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Don’t forget to show some extra love and attention to your pets this Valentine’s Day!